Most restaurants have a specialty item they are known for. At Missouri State University’s Carrie’s Café, that item is the Moroccan Roll.
Based off a Greek dish called spanakopita, the Moroccan Roll was created when Carrie’s Café first opened 20 years ago.
“It’s a mixture of spinach and cheese served in a phyllo pastry. We’ve modified it a bit so it’s more of a handheld pastry that you can eat as an appetizer,” said Grayson Jamroch, a senior hospitality leadership student.
How to make the roll
These are the ingredients required to make a small batch of about 40 rolls:
- 3 pounds of spinach (thawed)
- 1 cup of chives
- 1 cup of dill
- 5 ounces of butter (melted)
- 4 eggs
- 10 ounces of ricotta cheese
- 12 ounces of feta cheese
- 1 cup of Parmesan cheese
- 1 box of phyllo pastry
Follow these steps to make the roll:
- If using frozen spinach, thaw out one day beforehand and squeeze the liquid out
- Mix in the three types of cheeses with the spinach and weigh the mixture on a scale to make sure it’s between 1.7-1.8 ounces (about a quarter cup)
- Roll the mixture into logs
- Brush a piece of phyllo pastry generously with butter
- Sprinkle some dry mix (combination of grated Parmesan cheese and dried dill) evenly over phyllo pastry
- Add on another piece of phyllo pastry to create a double layer and apply some butter
- Place a log on the edge of the pastry and roll it
- Brush the tips with a little bit of butter
- Place the roll on a baking pan with the seam side down
- Bake in the oven at 375 degrees for 15 minutes (slightly longer if frozen)
About Carrie’s Café
Carrie’s Café is a student-managed restaurant of the department of hospitality leadership at Missouri State. Students enrolled in restaurant management run the café under the supervision of Wajeana White, instructor of hospitality leadership.
“Each semester, I get a new set of students. I teach them about managing a restaurant, food costs and standardization of recipes,” White said. “We also cook food and serve guests who come in to the café.”
The restaurant is located on the fourth floor of Pummill Hall. It is open to the public from 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays during the spring and fall semesters. Walk-ins are welcome, but reservations are recommended. Call 417-836-4409.