Planning the perfect event? Think critically through every detail
Whether it’s a conference, holiday party, concert or a wedding, there are many details to attend to as you plan a special event. Lamae Koogler, visiting assistant professor in the hospitality and restaurant administration department at Missouri State University, offers six A’s to keep the planning process on track.
- Anticipation – Focus on building anticipation with an appropriate invitation and consistent messaging to remind attendees about the event. Mobile applications and social media are great resources for this stage, noted Koogler.
- Arrival – Prior to the event, think through the arrival process, addressing questions like: where should attendees park? Do they know what to do when they arrive? What will be their immediate first impression?
- Activity – If there’s going to be an activity or a schedule, how will attendees know where to go or what to do? If it’s strictly social, should entertainment be offered?
- Appetite – Menu planning is becoming more important in complementing special event themes, added Koogler. Make sure that all needed utensils are available.
- Amenities – Amenities can help create a warm memory of an event, so ask yourself whether a takeaway or favor from the event is appropriate.
- Atmosphere – Look at the overall theme of the event and see whether it is carried throughout all of the space. Is there anything that should be added?
Dr. Philip Rothschild, director of the entertainment management program in the College of Business, also showcases his event planning skills on Bears Show How to Never Enjoy a Concert Again.
“Hot Topic – Expert Source” releases are a tool the office of university communications provides to assist media in locating a university source to comment on a particular subject or issue. The opinions expressed by the expert are those of a specific individual and are not necessarily representative of the views of the university.
About Missouri State University
Missouri State University is a public, comprehensive metropolitan system with a statewide mission in public affairs, whose purpose is to develop educated persons. The university’s identity is distinguished by its public affairs mission, which entails a campus-wide commitment to foster expertise and responsibility in ethical leadership, cultural competence and community engagement.
New media resources
For more information about MSU, visit www.missouristate.edu. You can also like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, add us to your circle on Google+ and see what’s happening on YouTube. Receive notification of Missouri State news releases as soon as they are posted by subscribing to our RSS feed.