With the theme of Dream Big! Missouri State University’s Tent Theatre will entertain audiences with three live shows this year.
But the schedule will be different to celebrate the grand opening of the theatre’s new permanent structure, the John Goodman Amphitheatre.
“The enchanting legacy of Tent Theatre is a cornerstone of Missouri State,” said Dr. Shawn Wahl, dean of MSU’s Reynolds College of Arts and Letters. “This program has been and continues to be key to making MSU a premier destination campus for the arts.”
Mark Templeton, managing director of theatre and dance at Missouri State, said for years, Tent Theatre has captivated generations of fans with stories and songs that reflect our biggest dreams, presented in a one-of-a-kind setting.
“This unique, shared experience transcends entertainment, touching the hearts and imaginations of performers and audiences alike,” Templeton added. “This summer, we’ll celebrate our diamond jubilee with three sparkling productions, one that will showcase our long-awaited Big Dream for our thousands of supporters.”
About the shows
Two summer shows will take place in Craig Hall Coger Theatre.
- Xanadu, June 22-25 – Based on the Olivia Newton John movie of the same name, this Tony-nominated musical brings romance, fun and lots of disco.
- Moon Over Buffalo, June 29-July 2 – A fast-paced, hilarious screwball comedic play about mistaken identity and unfortunate relationships.
The final show opens at the John Goodman Amphitheatre in the fall.
- Crazy for You, Sept. 9-11, 14-17 – A city slicker falls for a hometown girl in this ebullient romantic comedy featuring cowboys, showgirls, high-energy production numbers and a glorious score from George and Ira Gershwin.
“We’re thrilled to unveil and treat our Tent Theatre patrons to the first ever show in the impressive modern John Goodman Amphitheatre,” said MSU President Clif Smart. “The centerpiece of the new Judith Enyeart Reynolds Arts Park, this vibrant space is a game changer for performing arts and community engagement on campus.”
The John Goodman Amphitheatre is opening later than originally scheduled due to supply chain and construction delays seen nationally as an impact of COVID-19.
MSU is pleased to welcome Tent Theatre audiences to the production of Crazy for You in the new facility in September 2022, followed by other arts events and productions. Tent Theatre 2023 will return to its traditional summer schedule with all shows in the John Goodman Amphitheatre surrounded by the Judith Enyeart Reynolds Arts Park.
Performance and ticket information
All shows start at 8 p.m. There are season and single, standard and premium tickets, as well as group rates.
You can buy tickets:
- By phone – call Missouri State TIX at 417-836-7678 or toll free at 1-888-476-7849.
- By mail – Complete the season ticket order form and mail it with payment to Missouri State TIX, 901 S. National Ave., Springfield, MO 65897.
- In person – visit any Missouri State TIX box office. Box offices are located in Great Southern Bank Arena and Craig Hall, and are open Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.