Updated at 9:45 a.m. Sept. 20, 2018
Donald J. Trump for president has rented JQH Arena for a rally on Sept. 21.
Missouri State University issued a statement on Sept. 13 encouraging everyone to respectfully participate in the political process.
Advanced tickets are required and may be requested on the Trump for President website.
Doors will open at 2:10 p.m. The event begins at 6:30 p.m.
Compact or collapsible umbrellas will be allowed inside the facility. However, long umbrellas cannot be brought inside JQH Arena.
This will result in significant street and parking closures on campus.
Concrete barriers will be placed around JQH Arena overnight on Sept. 19. Some street and parking lot closures will begin at that time.
Select a section below to jump to that information.
- Parking lot closures
- Changes to streets
- Event parking
- Parking for the campus community
- Bear Line shuttle changes
- Access to JQH Arena and surrounding areas
- Impacts to campus operations
- Media information
Click or tap on the map to access a larger image.
*Lots marked for “Event parking” are NOT closed to students, faculty and staff. These are the lots that are also open to the public on the day of the event.
Pedestrian access will be restricted within the area immediately surrounding and north of JQH Arena to Cherry Street.
The following parking lots will be closed beginning overnight on Sept. 19:
- Lot 15A
- Lot 25
- Lot at Wehr Band Hall
The following parking areas will be closed beginning the morning of Sept. 21:
- Lot 2
- Lot 5
- Lot 11
- Lot 28
Members of the campus community will be able to access lots 2, 5 and 11 until 9 a.m. Sept. 21. Access will be from the south on the John Q. Hammons transitway. After 9 a.m., no new vehicles will be allowed to enter.
Several streets around JQH Arena will be closed and/or re-routed beginning the evening of Sept. 19 until after 10 p.m. Sept. 21.
The following streets will be closed beginning overnight on Sept. 19:
- John Q. Hammons Parkway from Madison Street to Cherry Street
- Holland Avenue from Madison Street to Cherry Street
- Clay Avenue from Cherry Street to Harrison Street
- Harrison Street from John Q. Hammons Parkway to Holland Avenue
- Bear Boulevard from John Q. Hammons Parkway to Holland Avenue
- Madison Street from John Q. Hammons Parkway to Holland Avenue
On Sept. 21:
- Bear Boulevard will run westbound only
- East Harrison Street will run eastbound only
Visitors coming from the north are encouraged to park in Bear Park North, 725 E. Cherry St., Springfield, MO 65806.
Additional parking is available in MSU Lots 35, 37, 39, 44, 51 and 52.
Visitors coming from the south are encouraged to park in Bear Park South, 920 S. Holland Ave., Springfield, MO 65897.
Additional parking is available in MSU Lots 4, 18, 19, 20, 20A, 22 and 24.
Accessible parking will be available in Lot 28, 920 E. Cherry St, Springfield, MO 65897.
On the afternoon and evening of Sept. 21, members of the campus community are encouraged to park in lots 15 and 31. These lots will not be open to event attendees.
The Bear Line shuttles will continue throughout the week.
Riders should expect significant delays during the afternoon and evening of Sept. 21.
On Sept. 20-21, there will not be daytime or evening shuttle stops at the following locations:
- Hammons Student Center
- JQH Arena
- Wehr Band Hall
Students living in Hammons House and Hutchens House are encouraged to use the Cherry Street shuttle stop.
Peaceful protesting will be allowed in lot 25, just south of Hammons Student Center.
Consistent with federal law, the United States Secret Service is responsible for protecting the president. This means that Secret Service, in conjunction with local law enforcement, will direct and regulate access to JQH Arena and the surrounding areas, including the areas designated for individuals not attending the event within JQH Arena.
All participants are advised to comply with the directions of law enforcement, as failure to do so may result in arrest and subsequent prosecution.
The volleyball game has been moved up to 3 p.m. Sept. 21. Entry to Hammons Student Center will be through the northwest doors only.
- Wehr Band Hall will be closed beginning Sept. 20
- Foster Rec Center will close at 3 p.m. Sept. 21
- Residence halls will be locked on Sept. 21 and an access card will be required for entry
- The Child Development Center will close at 5 p.m.
Greenwood will close early
- Elementary students will be dismissed at 1 p.m.
- 6th-12th grades will be dismissed at 1:15 p.m.
- All after school activities that occur at Greenwood are cancelled
- Jaycare will not be provided
All questions about the event should be directed to email@example.com
Members of the media can request media credentials. Select Springfield, Missouri in the drop down menu.
Press set will take place from 9-10 a.m. Sept. 21 in JQH Arena. Journalists will need their press credentials at that time.
- Equipment will be scanned
- There will be a place to leave equipment for when journalists return later
The live truck parking is in lot 15A, located directly east of JQH Arena.
Media protocols are dictated by the White House and Secret Service. Missouri State cannot authorize any alternate arrangements for media.
This post will be updated as further information is available.