A Military Friendly® School, Missouri State University will honor United States military, veterans and first responders with a series of events that are open to the public.
Alliance for Veterans events celebrate “Making Our Future Leaders”
The Missouri State Pride Bands trumpet section and community trumpeters will perform a series of songs leading to a cascade of “Taps” from 9:45-10:30 a.m. Nov. 11 on campus. All members of the campus community are asked to pause during the playing of “Taps.”
Veterans and their guests are invited to register to attend the Missouri State Alliance for Veterans Breakfast at 8 a.m. Nov. 11 in the Plaster Student Union Ballroom. The Alliance for Veterans will recognize Vietnam-era veterans in honor of the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War.
Missouri State alumna Lt. Gen Karen E. Dyson will serve as the keynote speaker at the event. The deadline for registration is Nov. 5.
For more information, contact David Caravella, Alliance for Veterans acting chair, at 417-836-5959.
Bands present gala event to salute veterans
The Missouri State band program will present its annual “A Musical Salute To Our Veterans” concert at 4 p.m. Nov. 6 at Juanita K. Hammons Hall for the Performing Arts. A tradition that has been presented for over 20 years, this gala event of appreciation has proven to be one of the more popular yearly Springfield concerts.
Students from the music department combine their talents in this colorful tribute with performances by the university wind ensemble, Pride Band trumpets, select section leaders, color guard members and a grand finale featuring the Pride Marching Band.
The event is free and open to the public.
For more information, contact the Missouri State band office at 417-836-5454 or email@example.com.
Missouri State football and the office of veteran student services will ignite support for military, veterans and first responders at the annual “Salute to Heroes” game at 2 p.m. Oct. 29 at Plaster Stadium.
- All active or retired military, police, fire, EMT personnel or other first responders can purchase $5 reserved bleachers (upper and lower level) and $8 reserved bleacher-back seats ($2 for children 12 and under) with a valid ID. Tickets can be purchased in advance through the Old Missouri Bank Ticket Window at JQH Arena during normal box office hours (10 a.m.-5 p.m.), or on game day at Plaster Stadium, starting at 10 a.m.
- Veterans and their families are invited to enjoy free food and drink at the veteran student services tent at BearFest Village.
- About 80 active duty soldiers from Fort Leonard Wood will attend the game and participate in pre-game ceremonies.
- Fans can tour a Black Hawk helicopter, provided by the Missouri National Guard, from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. in Lot 22 south of Plaster Stadium.
Missouri State men’s soccer will honor military, veterans and first responders at its last home match against Evansville at 7 p.m. Oct. 29 at the Betty and Bobby Allison South Stadium. The match between the Bears and Purple Aces has been tabbed “Salute to America’s Heroes” night.
- All veterans and first responders (medical, law enforcement and military) will receive free entry to the match with a valid ID.
- The Bears will play in memory of Capt. Aaron Eidem, a decorated U.S. Army soldier and adjunct Missouri State faculty member who died in an accident last February while helping a stranded motorist on Interstate Highway 44.
For more information, contact Megan Hofferth, director of athletics marketing, at 417-836-3302.