Official enrollment for the Missouri State University system hit a new milestone this year – totaling 26,000 students for fall 2016. The previous record of 24,735 students was established last fall.
In addition, the Springfield campus set a new record with a total of 24,116 students enrolled, up 1,282 (5.6 percent) from 22,834 students last fall. Since 2011, enrollment on the Springfield campus has grown by 3,314 students (15.9 percent).
On the West Plains campus, the census day figures show 1,951 students are taking classes in fall 2016 compared to last year’s overall tally of 1,993 students. West Plains credit hour total is 18,910, up 706 (3.9 percent) from last fall.
Some 67 students are enrolled on both campuses; these students were only counted once in the system total.
“Enrollment at Missouri State University has grown by more than 15 percent since 2011,” said Missouri State President Clifton M. Smart III. “We believe that steady growth indicates that students and families trust Missouri State to provide a quality education. We’re especially pleased that we have growth in areas of importance to the university, including students from underrepresented groups and transfer students.”
Highlights of the official fall enrollment report for the Springfield campus include:
- The number of new transfer students is 1,782, up 110 (6.6 percent). This is a new record for fall semester transfers.
- The total number of degree-seeking undergraduates (new and returning) is 17,535, up 702 (4.2 percent).
- The number of students in the dual credit program is 2,780, up 631 (29.4 percent).
- Students from underrepresented groups total 2,978, up 182 (6.5 percent).
- Total credit hours increased to 270,353, up 12,360 (4.8 percent).
Students from all Missouri counties, 47 other states and 89 countries are enrolled at Missouri State this fall.
The fall 2016 official enrollment figures are based on the 20th day of classes, the state of Missouri’s official enrollment census date.
The university will host Showcase, a special open house for prospective students, on Sept. 24.
For information on the Missouri State-West Plains campus, call 417-255-7955 or visit wp.missouristate.edu.